Church Salvation Army Style
We are at the condo in Old Orchard Beach. And you may remember the Sandford policy on church. Doesn't matter where you are or who you're with. When Sunday comes, you go to or have church in some form or other!! Remember how Craig used to commiserate with Andrew?? He thought ours was the only family in the world that did this and Andrew thought his was the only family that did this!!
Sooo, yesterday Neil went for a walk around the Old tent meeting grounds here in O.O. Beach. And he found a lovely Salvation Army church that he thought would be nice to attend this morning! He told me he thought he'd like to go but that I didn't have to if I wanted to stay home. I thought I'd choose the "stay home" option until I got up this morning. Then I decided that it wouldn't half hurt me to go to church and it wouldn't take toooo much time out of this vacation day. But I still felt kind of cross and crabby. When Neil asked if we had any cash for the offering I replied that I had some $ from my piano lesson fund but I didn't want to give that away!! For shame, for shame on me!! I told you I felt cross and crabby.
On to the church. It was really quite interesting and the message actually fed and inspired me. I even felt convicted by my selfish attitude at giving an offering and apologized to Neil as I doled out from my "precious" fund!! Now on to a few interesting observations!
~The Salvation Army band accompanied the singing and provided the prelude music!
along with a couple of pieces played by the piano and a white haired lady on the double bass. During the service the piano and bass also played "May Jesus Christ be Praised," only I think the bass player had the bass line from the wrong hymn because she only blended with the piano on about 5 notes!! Kind of funny, but it was done in such a worshipful manner that I was blessed anyway. I was just glad Craig wasn't there!
~The band's percussionist was a little old white-haired lady that looked like Ruth Cameron. Probably no one reading this will be old enough to even remember what she looked like, but I got a big kick out of her playing the bass drum.
~The song leader couldn't see straight and got his hymn numbers all mixed up. He'd even put the wrong numbers on the program but consoled us by saying that at least he'd spelled his own name right!! Because of his sincerity, this all was no problem to us. Reminded me of some of the blunders Mr. Hardy used to make and we loved him anyway.
~Topic for the service was a take-off from US News and World Report's front cover of "50 Ways to Improve 2007" or some such. Here are a few nuggets:
1. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you. (This instead of seeking material benefits.)
2. At the end of each day, jot down three things that went well that day and why. It will help you to feel more gratitude to God.
3. Resolutions are worthless, but looking for the best in everyone around you and making a gratitude visit to God each day will be useful.
4. And lastly, from the chorus of the closing hymn, "Thy Great name, thy great name, Let my life O Lord each day, Glorify Thy name!" Amen! and may my life do the same each day of 2007!
So ended church Salvation Army Stlye and I'm glad I went! Happy New Year!
Sooo, yesterday Neil went for a walk around the Old tent meeting grounds here in O.O. Beach. And he found a lovely Salvation Army church that he thought would be nice to attend this morning! He told me he thought he'd like to go but that I didn't have to if I wanted to stay home. I thought I'd choose the "stay home" option until I got up this morning. Then I decided that it wouldn't half hurt me to go to church and it wouldn't take toooo much time out of this vacation day. But I still felt kind of cross and crabby. When Neil asked if we had any cash for the offering I replied that I had some $ from my piano lesson fund but I didn't want to give that away!! For shame, for shame on me!! I told you I felt cross and crabby.
On to the church. It was really quite interesting and the message actually fed and inspired me. I even felt convicted by my selfish attitude at giving an offering and apologized to Neil as I doled out from my "precious" fund!! Now on to a few interesting observations!
~The Salvation Army band accompanied the singing and provided the prelude music!
along with a couple of pieces played by the piano and a white haired lady on the double bass. During the service the piano and bass also played "May Jesus Christ be Praised," only I think the bass player had the bass line from the wrong hymn because she only blended with the piano on about 5 notes!! Kind of funny, but it was done in such a worshipful manner that I was blessed anyway. I was just glad Craig wasn't there!
~The band's percussionist was a little old white-haired lady that looked like Ruth Cameron. Probably no one reading this will be old enough to even remember what she looked like, but I got a big kick out of her playing the bass drum.
~The song leader couldn't see straight and got his hymn numbers all mixed up. He'd even put the wrong numbers on the program but consoled us by saying that at least he'd spelled his own name right!! Because of his sincerity, this all was no problem to us. Reminded me of some of the blunders Mr. Hardy used to make and we loved him anyway.
~Topic for the service was a take-off from US News and World Report's front cover of "50 Ways to Improve 2007" or some such. Here are a few nuggets:
1. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you. (This instead of seeking material benefits.)
2. At the end of each day, jot down three things that went well that day and why. It will help you to feel more gratitude to God.
3. Resolutions are worthless, but looking for the best in everyone around you and making a gratitude visit to God each day will be useful.
4. And lastly, from the chorus of the closing hymn, "Thy Great name, thy great name, Let my life O Lord each day, Glorify Thy name!" Amen! and may my life do the same each day of 2007!
So ended church Salvation Army Stlye and I'm glad I went! Happy New Year!

3 Comments:
At 12:40 AM,
Aaron said…
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
At 4:20 PM,
Anonymous said…
I'm old enough to remember Ruth Cameron. Carolyn Happy New Year!
At 3:28 PM,
Anonymous said…
That's right Carolyn! You would remember Ruth Cameron. I forgot that you read my blog!
Post a Comment
<< Home